Community Pharmacy Technician
Community pharmacy technicians work within the healthcare team in community pharmacies most often located on the high street, within shopping centres and supermarkets.
. They undertake a wide range of tasks which include:
- Reading prescriptions, labelling and dispensing prescribed medicines.
- Calculating quantities and doses of medicines
- Providing information and advice to patients on how to use their medication.
- Advising members of the public about over the counter medicines and management of minor ailments.
- Selling over-the-counter medicines and other items stocked by the chemist.
- Manufacturing basic ointments and mixtures by making simple dilutions
- Stock procurement and control.
- Maintaining individual records of patient’s prescriptions, usually using the pharmacy computer system
- Training, supervising and assessing junior staff and trainees